Eggs are mostly common to be associated with breakfast or brunch, but an “egg lover” will have them at any time of the day, like a tasty snack or a great protein source on a lunch dish. In this case the juicy poached egg, the spiced cauliflower “rice” and the soft avocado are a match made in heaven, they compliment each other rather nicely, as well as providing an interesting texture mix, crunchy versus creamy and that is always a great combination.
If eggs are not an option, the spiced “rice” works very well as a side dish too, both nutritious and comforting. It can be served as a side to a roasted chicken breast or some grilled salmon, easy and quick. The cauliflower really takes on the flavour of the spices with a sweet hint of the coconut oil.
In the end, this is a great guilt-free comfort food recipe, for those moody and cold winter days or a late weekend brunch.
- 2 cups cauliflower florets (without the stems)
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 small red onion
- 1 teaspoon red chilli powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1 red pepper
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
- 1 sliced avocado
- 2 eggs
- A few drops of white wine vinegar
- Salt and pepper
- Place the cauliflower florets in a food processor and pulse it until it turns into small bits (it should resemble rice), reserve.
- Chop the red onion and diced the red peppers. Melt the coconut oil in a pan in a medium heat, add the chopped onions and the pepper dices and sauté for a few minutes until soft.
- Add the spices and the cauliflower “rice”, let it cook for 3 to 4 minutes until tender, season as taste and than remove from the heat.
- For the poached eggs: Fill a pan with a couple of inches of water and a few drops of vinegar, bring it to a boil. When it starts to simmer lower the heat. Crack the each egg into a small bowl, gently slip the eggs in the water, one at a time. Cook for 3 to 4 minutes and than remove the eggs from the water.
- Distribute the rice into 2 bowls, arrange the avocado slices (half of an avocado for each), place the poached eggs over the avocado slices. Sprinkle everything with the chopped cilantro.